I wanted to revisit my envelope design and found another flowery wrapping paper, but this one was slightly different, with a beige background and more delicate looking flowers, it actually resembles the ground. So I thought it would make a good envelope.
Having found an image of a spade online I quickly saw how my first spade design did resemble a handbag rather than a spade. So worked on elongating the handle, changing the shape of it and making the spade part a more shaped piece rather than a square. I liked the brown paper and green for the handle of the second design so kept these as features.
I did find that I had to crop the folded paper slightly to get it to sit without being visible before opening. I wasn’t sure if this would mean that I couldn’t get the 4 chunks of 120 words in the small space, so I designed text boxes in word and wrote 120 words in each cutting them out to see if they’d fit into the spaces provided.
Feeling happy with my first plain paper prototype I moved onto trying to find different kinds of paper for the design.
My initial thought was to try and create an envelope that could look like/represent ground that the spade was cutting into (as it would look if you were digging). I found some flowery wrapping paper that looked quite fresh and thought that might work.
However seeing it in actuality, I thought it didn’t really look like earth/ground the spade was cutting into and the spade poking out the top actually made it look more like a handbag design. The blue and pink give it too girly a feel and I felt like this might be off putting for any guys receiving it in the post!
I found a sturdy brown paper/card I’d kept from something to make the spade from and I felt like this would help it keep it’s shape and made it look for spade like. I coloured in the handle green as often spades have coloured handles.
At the time I felt okay with this particular spade design so moved on to trying to design a better looking envelope.
So back to the drawing board I thought about another shape that went with the idea of volunteering to help in a park and it occurred to me that you might practically use a spade to help with gardening, and I thought what if the I designed a leaflet shaped like a spade.
I started off just doing a sketch and then making a plain paper prototype using 3 pieces of A4 paper. The basic idea I had in my mind was a leaflet in the shape of a spade which folded in half and opened to reveal a folded piece of paper which had the chunks of info on and contact details. I also thought this would work well within an open topped envelop/pocket so you could see the handle of the spade sticking out but not initially the whole spade.
happy that this sort of worked I set about thinking about types of paper, colours textures and making a variety of prototypes until I found one I was happy with.
My next idea was around thinking about shapes that represent parks, naturally parks are often full of tree’s so I thought maybe I could create something with the shape of a tree as a leaflet.
I didn’t want to just have the whole leaflet in the shape of a tree rather have the shape feature. it occurred to me that the inside folds could be in the shape of a tree, and have it open to make the folds accessible. Rather than me drawing this (which may have been wiser) I just went straight to the paper prototype.
This isn’t quite what I’d visualised in my mind. It looks more like a Christmas card design as the tree’s really look like what you might cut out as a Christmas tree design, and the way I’ve cut them out (one shape cut out of paper folded up) just emphasizes that. And the point where the tree’s are connected is so fragile that I don’t think practically it would hold together.