I last posted a comment about this poster nearly a month ago, and I feel like I’m finally nearing it’s completion. I’ve had two sessions with a friend who’s a graphic designer now, and feel like I have some level of competency with Illustrator and Photoshop.
I’ve made fairly substantial changes to the design of the poster. Here’s how it looked before:
Overall photo of poster one
And this is what the poster looks like now:
Bands in the park poster v.2
It feels like I’ve been working on this for awhile, and whilst I’m pleased that I’ve completed the poster for the second rationale I still have work to do on the first.
Following the comments on my critique page I went back to my sketchbook to draw some new poster designs for rationale two.
My focus was on creating a design that had much more flow and movement in it, looked summery, and in which the central information i.e. the title of the event and dates were more of a focal point. I did the designs as pen drawings without colour first to try and get a sense of shapes and text arrangement before thinking about colour scheme’s.
Pen & pencil drawings of new designs
I started to carve out my design of the saxophone and unfortunately it wasn’t till I’d actually taken the first print that I realised I’d not reversed my design so that it was the way round I wanted it to be. So sadly it’s not the right way round, and I don’t think I’ve really got the time to do it all again.
Saxophone Linocut 1/6