Tag Archives: project two

Printing Using a Portrait based Mask: Part 2

I began Printing again with the new larger mask, it had some interesting results.

Larger Portrait Print

Larger Portrait Print

The Print came out much smoother, with more of the ink coming through the Mask, but I’m still not managing to get the whole of the Image as a Print ( the hair clips didn’t come through on this one).

I thought at this point I might as well try a Print based on the Positive Mask, so gave it a go.

Continue reading

Printing Using a Portrait based Mask

Portrait of Girl with Hair Clips 1950's Style

Portrait of Girl with Hair Clips 1950’s Style

 

Above is the drawing I drew that inspired the mask for Printing. I much prefer this design to the previous design using leaves. But as I tried to Print with this Mark it became clear there were difficulties with such a delicate/small mask.

Below is a trial version of a Print using Tissue Paper underneath the mask. I really liked the way this worked, and the boldness of the bright pink colour. So i thought I’d give creating ink in a similar colour a go…

Portrait Mask with Pink Tissue Paper

Portrait Mask with Pink Tissue Paper

Bright Pink Ink on Inking Plate

Bright Pink Ink on Inking Plate

However in Practice the Pink on the Inking Plate did not lead to vivid Pink prints. The prints turned out a slightly different looking shade of red first time round.

Another problem arose in that not all the ink in the negative space transferred onto the paper for the print. As you can see the first few prints weren’t very strong, there’s a large amount of the original design’s detail missing.

First Prints

First Prints

 

First Prints Part two

First Prints Part two

I do however like the border around the print in the middle of the photo above. I know that’s not what was recommended but It nicely frames the portrait.

Wanting to improve on the first round of prints I tried a second time with a second mask that I’d prepared, unfortunately the results were no better, which got me back to the drawing board (so to speak).

I wondered if the issue was the negative space was too small, and if I enlarged this (and the overall image) the print might come out at a better quality. So I drew a slightly different large design based on the original to make new masks from.

Larger Design

Larger Design

I’ll talk about how those turned out tomorrow.

 

 

Printing Using the Leaves Mask: Part 2

I wanted to see if increasing the amount of Ink on the Inking tray (an therefore on the roller) would help me to get a better first print using the Positive Mask on Watercolor Paper.

Here’s the result, still not as strong a Print as I would’ve liked, but an improvement:

Leaves Print on Watercolor  Paper - Version Two

Leaves Print on Watercolor Paper – Version Two

Considering the strength of colour on the print above, I took a second Print using Printing Paper afterwards.

 

Leaves Print on printing paper version two

Leaves Print on printing paper version two

I then wanted to take a Print using the cut out leaves as a Positive Mask. I tried this on paper from a large sketch pad I had, the ink doesn’t look very even on the print and is quite faded. So I knew I’d want to try that again!

 

Print from Positive Mask of Leaves

Print from Positive Mask of Leaves

This gave me the idea to try this again but with much more Ink on the Printing Plate, and using more of the Leaves.

Leaves on Printing Plate before taking the Print

Leaves on Printing Plate before taking the Print

Negative print using Positive  Mask of Leaves

Negative print using Positive Mask of Leaves

Again I’m not sure if it’s the paper or my beginners technique that makes the ink look quite uneven on the Print. But I do think the white left by the leaves looks good, strong contrast to the red ink.

I then removed the Leaves from the Printing Plate, and took a Print of the plate.

Print taken from the Surface of the Printing Plate

Print taken from the Surface of the Printing Plate

I actually quite like how the outline of the leaves is the strongest colour in the the image, and it stands out more because the ink in the background is faded.

This is where I finished for the day, before moving onto Masks based on my second favorite design.

 

 

Project Two: Positive and Negative Masked Mono prints – In Progress!

I want to get better at writing in this learning log the day I’ve worked on things. This won’t be possible for everything but I’m giving it a go, beginning with yesterdays experiments and into today’s…

30/4/13

I picked two designs to create masks from, the first based on this leaf drawing. Inspiration came largely from Matisse’s work on leaves/fauna.

Leaves Design

Leaves Design

Whilst I don’t love the simplicity of this image, I thought it would work well as a bold mask as a positive or negative mask, so I began cutting out the leaves from the paper to create the mask.

Creating the Mask based on Leaves Design

Creating the Mask based on Leaves Design

At this stage I was happy with them being suitable for use in the print so I began preparing to Ink the Printing Plate – this proved trickier than I first thought!

 

The Inking Plate in action

The Inking Plate in action

 

First Leaves Print using Positive Mask on Watercolour Paper

First Leaves Print using Negative Mask on Watercolor Paper

As you can see my first print didn’t turn out that well, I assumed this was either because of the paper, not enough Ink on the Printing Plate, or me not applying enough pressure.

I then took another Print on the same Plate, (without re-inking the plate) but onto Bamboo Printing Paper (which is much thinner). I think the results are a stronger print.

Leaves Positive Print on Printing Paper

Leaves Positive Print on Printing Paper

I felt like I needed another go with the Leaves Mask so cleaned the Printing Plate and Inking Plate and began the process again, more to come on that in a second post.