Tag Archives: project three

Project 3: Backdrawing

Part of this project has involved backdrawing. It’s taken a little while to get the hang of it, my first few goes had a bit too much ink on the printing plate so the lines weren’t as clear as I wanted them to be.

I found that if I took a print of the printing plate first then did a backdrawing on my paper afterwards then the ink was thin enough on the plate for the backdrawing to be clear with little smudging or extra ink on the page. I’ve tried using pencils, and pens, the end of a paint brush to make marks.

I found the pen drawings gave a stronger, defined line more so than the pencil or paint brush.

I need to finish a few experiments with back-drawing and layered masks in one print (not sure it’s going to look how I’d like but worth a go). Then I’ll be moving onto Project 4!

 

Project 3: Two coloured masked monoprints – part 2

After yesterday’s poor results I was a little worried about how successful today would be.

Good registration!!

Good registration!!

Above are two prints with near perfect registration, I don’t really mind the white lines I think it adds to the overall image feeling complete. It took me a few more attempts to get to this point and creating a masking tape guide to help me register the print.

IMG_1158I did make a few earlier decent attempts but in much less tricky way by simply placing A4 sized paper over the A4 sized mask. See photo’s below:

IMG_1164

 

Now I feel like I’ve got a good method going I can move onto doing multiple layered masks and a bit more experimenting!

 

Project 3: Two coloured masked monoprints

I began working towards this Project yesterday. And so far it’s not had too many great results.

The tricky part of this Project seems to be getting the hang of Registering the paper both times so that the different masks line up without a gap or blurring. I haven’t yet managed to get a perfectly aligned two coloured monoprint.

Yesterdays attempt’s looked like this:

My first go at a 'Two coloured masked monoprint'

My first go at a ‘Two coloured masked monoprint’

As you can see I’ve managed to either move the paper as I printed or (which I suspect is the case) I’m managing to move the printing plate, and haven’t got the lining up right as well.

I’d cut out four versions of the same masks so I gave it four attempts. Here’s the second one, I reversed the colours this time though to see how it looked.

 

Second attempt at 'Two coloured masked monoprints'

Second attempt at ‘Two coloured masked monoprints’

The registration is better than the previous print but still out by quite a large margin. At least for the small leaf in the top right hand corner it looks like a more purposeful white outline. But the bottom leaf just looks ugly!

Feeling a little bit like I’d not achieved much I allowed myself to do a few experimental ghost prints with back drawing on. Here’s one as whole and then a close up photo to show the detail of the back drawing.

back drawing on ghost print

 

Close up of back drawing

 

Today’s attempts look like this:

Continue reading