Warning long post….
I felt fairly happy with how the second layer had printed so began cutting my lino ready for the final layer of black edges/highlights on the print.
Having managed to get four decent quality print of the first layer I was happy to move onto cutting the second layer.
Yesterday I began printing the first layer of the reduction print. It didn’t go quite to plan….
I’d managed to mix a shade of green that was the colour I wanted, but when it came to printing things didn’t go smoothly. I’d made a jig to put the lino into to help with registration but I’m wondering if it wasn’t quite big enough and therefore a bit of the lino didn’t sink into it fully, and that’s what caused patches of the print to come out white…
After looking at and thinking about photograph’s I’d taken at Symonds Yatt I took some time to make a water colour and pen painting in my sketchbook that was an adaptation of the images I’d taken. This was because I wanted to adapt the image to give the viewer a feeling of looking out onto a really broad, vast, open landscape.
Whilst I was happy with how this looked I knew that it would be tricky to get the same sort of complex image for my first reduction method linocut. So I began working on adapting the design for the purpose of a reduction print.
I wanted there to be a border of white around the print when on paper, and it to sit within an A4 piece of paper. I began to think about what colours might work and given that the landscape is predominately green I figured the first layer could be a light green (like a base/under layer in a water colour painting).
My next thought was wanting to have some blue in the print, for the sky and the river, and if the shade of green was light printing in a light blue would produce a sort of turquoise blue in the sky and river, which would work well. My thought was to cut away the majority of green fields in the second stage of the print so that they would remain that light green rather than turning turquoise blue.
The white areas above represent areas that were green/present in the first layer but have been cut away in the second layer so that the green is preserved/kept from becoming blue.
The black pen layer over the top of the blue represents the final layer which is to add definition and texture to the image overall. I wanted to create the tree’s and define the wall on the edge with black lines/finer detail in the last layer to add interest.
I was feeling happy with the design so began preparing the lino for the first stage of the reduction print.
Whilst cutting the lino I realised I could get some interesting textures by really lightly scratching at the surface of the lino with a V-shaped gouge, you can see a close up of the detail in the next picture…
I’m hoping this will provide some more interest to the green layer of the fields, though it is quite light scratches so may not come out perfectly during the printing process.
One final thought is to extend the landscape outside of the boundary it currently sits in, so you see the lines of the box around it, almost like viewing it through the lens of camera but in reality there’s more beyond what you can capture/see. I think this would show what I’m trying to get across that sense of the land being so vast you ca’t capture it in one shot or with the first look.