Tag Archives: project 6

Project 6: ‘Strange Flowers’ Lino Print

I wanted to allow myself time to explore how this print looked on a range of papers, the papers vary in thickness, texture, color but are all the same size, so that the image is always framed in the same way. I know I could experiment with how the sits on the paper (as in how large a border I create round the image with the paper), but I wanted to experiment with the type of paper first. Maybe I’ll try different sizes of paper another time. I’ll write a bit about each print.

1.

'Strange Flower' Print on Dotted Paper

‘Strange Flower’ Print on Dotted Paper

IMG_1328

 

Continue reading

Project 6: The Print

So now onto talking about the cutting of the lino and the printing part.

I found the cutting process quite tricky. Initially using a radiator and a hair dryer to warm the lino helped but I discovered later that using a hot water bottle allowed much quicker heating of the lino which meant less interruption between cutting. I also found that (perhaps due to not being used to the pressure needed to cut the lino) that I sometimes slipped an cut into other parts of the design that I didn’t want to cut into, that’s why on the final print there’s some solid lines that have a few nicks in them, so they’re not really solid any more.

It was nice to smell the lino and work with my hands/watch it take shape, but also a bit nerve wracking, it took me three hours to complete. I have no idea if that’s good or bad or completely unimportant.

Completed Linocut design before printing

Completed Linocut design before printing

i wanted to try the print on a few different sized and types of paper, so chose three papers (two Japanese paper, one cartridge paper) and cut two to square shapes that were larger than the design and one to a rectangle, just to see how it looked.

Here’s the results:

Prints 1,2,3.

Prints 1,2,3.

IMG_1309 IMG_1310

The first print I took (at the top of the three), is a little faded looking, I think this is due to not applying quite enough pressure whilst using the barren. The other prints are clearer/stronger inked, which is good.

I think I like the print best on the rectangle shaped paper rather than the close bordered square as it feels a bit more free to breathe. If that makes any sense. I think I could have done with adding more texture to the image by using wiggled lines for the leaves, but other wise the image is okay.

 

Project 6: Single colour linocut

Choosing my image:

I wanted to give myself some time to decide on an image, so began by photographing my back garden from different angles trying to think about what might make a good image. I wasn’t too sure about the look I was getting/how I would turn the photo’s into linocuts. They all seem quite busy images and I wasn’t sure how I’d simplify them…

Continue reading