Before I began printing I created some jig’s to help with the registration of the print. I made two different sizes for the two different sizes of paper I wanted to print on.
Preparing for the print involved cutting/marking the three different surfaces: Polystyrene, Lino & Cutting Plastic. I tried to cut each piece to exactly the same size, a 12 cm square, but found that I only had enough cutting plastic to do a 11.5 cm square. Rather than rethink the design I hoped that if I aligned it right in the jig the 0.5 cm wouldn’t be too much of a problem.
Blocks before printing:
In my sketchbook I wrote down a few ideas of theme’s to base an experimental print on. I didn’t want to do anything particularly abstract, (which might have really suited the experimental nature) because this isn’t really something I have much interest in or desire to develop in. I do however enjoy illustrative style and images that represent people or experiences (much like what Jonathan ashworth’s work represents).
The ‘Woodcut Artist’s Handbook’ arrived yesterday along with some practice blocks of wood and one piece of basswood. My plan was to establish which tools were used for what/how to hold them and then do some mark making.