I began the preparation for the print by creating a square grid system on a print out of the Ghent Altarpiece as my reference for making a more detailed colour study.
I followed this by creating a watercolour study of the image, and in the process simplified some of the detail of the original. Perhaps reflecting on this now is the point where I lost a little definition which might have been beneficial for the final print. But I found creating a colour study of the detail of the whole image gave me a base to work from when breaking it down into different tonal studies.
I took the watercolour sketch as my base when making pencil drawings of each tonal layer. I then used these pencil drawings as my base when tracing the different blocks.