I dug around our garage to try and find some more tools for cutting a new piece of lino, I took a photo (above) of those I picked to mark the surface. I chose tools which I thought might mark the surface more substantially and therefore come across more clearer in the printing stage.
I began experimenting with marks on lino last week and recorded things as I worked using photograph’s. I wanted to make sure I recorded what tools I used, so what follows is sort of a record of that using photo’s and I’ll add my commentary on how the marks look/what was a success/failure and how I might use those tools in the future…
After looking at and thinking about photograph’s I’d taken at Symonds Yatt I took some time to make a water colour and pen painting in my sketchbook that was an adaptation of the images I’d taken. This was because I wanted to adapt the image to give the viewer a feeling of looking out onto a really broad, vast, open landscape.
Whilst I was happy with how this looked I knew that it would be tricky to get the same sort of complex image for my first reduction method linocut. So I began working on adapting the design for the purpose of a reduction print.
I wanted there to be a border of white around the print when on paper, and it to sit within an A4 piece of paper. I began to think about what colours might work and given that the landscape is predominately green I figured the first layer could be a light green (like a base/under layer in a water colour painting).
My next thought was wanting to have some blue in the print, for the sky and the river, and if the shade of green was light printing in a light blue would produce a sort of turquoise blue in the sky and river, which would work well. My thought was to cut away the majority of green fields in the second stage of the print so that they would remain that light green rather than turning turquoise blue.
The white areas above represent areas that were green/present in the first layer but have been cut away in the second layer so that the green is preserved/kept from becoming blue.
The black pen layer over the top of the blue represents the final layer which is to add definition and texture to the image overall. I wanted to create the tree’s and define the wall on the edge with black lines/finer detail in the last layer to add interest.
I was feeling happy with the design so began preparing the lino for the first stage of the reduction print.
Whilst cutting the lino I realised I could get some interesting textures by really lightly scratching at the surface of the lino with a V-shaped gouge, you can see a close up of the detail in the next picture…
I’m hoping this will provide some more interest to the green layer of the fields, though it is quite light scratches so may not come out perfectly during the printing process.
One final thought is to extend the landscape outside of the boundary it currently sits in, so you see the lines of the box around it, almost like viewing it through the lens of camera but in reality there’s more beyond what you can capture/see. I think this would show what I’m trying to get across that sense of the land being so vast you ca’t capture it in one shot or with the first look.
I’m trying to adjust how I let myself work towards projects. So rather than me being bound by what the project requires I’m trying to allow my thoughts/ideas work towards the project rather than be constrained in order to get the perfect print.
With that in mind I wanted to start by talking about some photo’s I took on holiday a couple of months ago which capture something I’ve been thinking about lately. I’ve been thinking about what it means to stand above something and look down on it, about seeing my life like a vast plain with lots of elements in it that stretch out far and wide, but are in my sight not beyond me.
These photo’s were taken looking over the edge of a viewing point in an area called Symonds Yat.
So having printed the yellow base layer’s I moved on to printing the two other layers of colour. I had a little mishap on one of the prints so only two are actually decent. But that’s what you get for rushing!
I’m not entirely happy with this print, it’s a tad girly/sickly for my taste. And the pink layer is a bit smudgy as I must have moved the paper while trying to get a print.