Tag Archives: Experimental Mark making

Project 10: Preparing to print

Preparing for the print involved cutting/marking the three different surfaces: Polystyrene, Lino & Cutting Plastic. I tried to cut each piece to exactly the same size, a 12 cm square, but found that I only had enough cutting plastic to do a 11.5 cm square. Rather than rethink the design I hoped that if I aligned it right in the jig the 0.5 cm wouldn’t be too much of a problem.

Blocks before printing:

Polystyrene block before printing

Polystyrene block before printing

Continue reading

Project 10: Cutting Plastic

I found this plastic as a suggested alternative to linoleum on the Great Art site so thought it wouldn’t hurt to give cutting it a go. I wasn’t sure which side was supposed to be the front of the surface, so I assumed it was the smooth side, as the other side has a small square pattern.

Front of cutting plastic

Front of cutting plastic

Back of cutting plastic

Back of cutting plastic

Continue reading

Project 10: Mark making on Polystyrene

I had some Polystyrene in the house that I’d used in the past to try making stamps/stencils with so it made sense to do some mark making with it. I decided to use only a few tools; a ball point pen, fine pen, craft knife and hand saw and to keep what I drew with them simple. So forgive the child like quality of the prints.

Continue reading