I dug around our garage to try and find some more tools for cutting a new piece of lino, I took a photo (above) of those I picked to mark the surface. I chose tools which I thought might mark the surface more substantially and therefore come across more clearer in the printing stage.
I decided to divide the lino into six squares by using some lino cutting tools to draw a dividing line, this was just to make it easier to see and remember what tools I’d used where and what these looked like printed.
Here’s a run down of which tool marked which square:
Top Left (Square 1): Leather man serrated knife, Top Middle (Square 2): Medium Screwdriver, Top Right (Square 3): Scissors, Bottom Left (Square 4): Metal Ruler Saw , Bottom Middle (Square 5): Large Metal File, Bottom Right (Square 6): Hand Saw.
The Prints :
This was the first print taken, and has a good coverage of ink and good edges. But some of the squares markings are not visible, only those made with strong cutting edges and lots of force (i.e. the hand saws and screwdriver) are visible. There is a faint glimmer of the marks made in the top right and top left squares, perhaps best to use those tools for a sight distressing of the lino.
I think the hand saw marks and ruler saw marks give an interesting white broken line, that gives a distressed feel. I’m not sure what these would best suit, maybe they could works to represent lines of grass in a landscape or old wood or a textured background.
In this print the ink was applied more thinly onto the lino block and as a result you can see the marks in squares 1,3 & 5 more clearly.
This print was a ghost print taken of the lino block after printing the fourth print. It’s badly printed in that I did it by hand not using a rolling pin (so you can see blurring caused by movement) . However marks that weren’t visible in the first four prints are visible in this ghost print. For instance the scratches in the top left square, and top right square suddenly have more definition. Again I am confused as to why this might be!