Project 9: Experimental Mark making on Lino – First prints

Print 1 of 4

Print 1 of 4

From this first print you can see that some marks worked more successfully in terms being visible clearly. I used a rolling pin to try and get an even print here, it didn’t work perfectly but this might be the best quality print of the series.

I think that the screwdriver crosses would work well used as detail for stone work or a roof top on a house, they also could make quite stylized/childish looking stars in a night sky. There’s a slight difference in the tone of the top left corner and bottom right corner of the print. These were areas I either filed or scrapped away, almost like sanding. Although this fading or lighter tone is clearer in the second print below.

Print 2 of 4

Print 2 of 4

I applied less ink to the surface of the lino when making this print. I think this enabled some of the lighter scratch marks to come through more clearly. By this point I was becoming aware that I hadn’t made very deep/strong marks on the surface of the lino and this was the main reason they weren’t showing at the printing stage.

Print 3 of 4

Print 3 of 4

Here the quality of the print is pretty poor, I was struggling to get even pressure (despite using the rolling pin!). Only the deeper scratches came through again and screwdriver marks most of the delicate scratches are lost, which was a shame because I was hoping they would ad subtle texture.

Print 4 of 4

Print 4 of 4

This was the final red ink print I did, as I didn’t think I could get any cleaner print quality. I felt my best option was to pick some new tools to experiment with on a fresh piece of lino. However It crossed my mind that maybe the colour or the unique quality of the magenta ink could be part of the problem so tried printing with a lighter colour (see green print below).

Green Print - 1 of 1

Green Print – 1 of 1

As you can see this is probably the least successful print, but in small sections you can see some delicate marks very clearly. I am slightly confused by this! Anyhow I started making fresh marks on a fresh piece of lino to see what I could do to improve the print quality.

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *