This is the first proper design thought for the project. I got the idea for the blue behind the feather as a way of highlighting/enhancing the blue that was naturally part of the feather. I also drew inspiration from Mark heralds sunflower print for the shape of the black and how much white was left in the print. The lines with arrows around the edge are supposed to be like the little fluffy parts which were visible on the real feather. They act as a sort of border/breaking up the contrast between the black and white.
For this design I tried to let myself be a bit more free/imaginative, adding in another colour (the red) and more black to try and make the central feather look a bit mysterious. I think the black is actually a bit over whelming, but I do really like the red and the little stars. It’s a bit of a nod to the delicate layers of Angie Lewin’s linocut prints.
This design came about from looking again at Mark heralds ‘Sunflower’ print and noticing that having three flowers in the print worked well I wondered if having three feathers would add more interest to the image. I’m not sure it works in the oval frame created by the white, think it all looks a bit floaty. This led to me trying to re-design the 2nd design I’d made.
This design is a adaptation of Design 2, I’ve made the inner circle white so as to remove the dominance of the black in the print. I think this contrast works well, and the red lines around the edge help make it fun/intriguing still. I liked this design best so started to trace it and prepare it for cutting into lino…
These are the three blocks of cut Lino – took 6-8 hours to cut them, and following doing a rubbing of each with tracing paper I think there may be more marks/texture to the image than in my design, but this could work well. we’ll see.