Project 7: Developed colour ways

So having printed the yellow base layer’s I moved on to printing the two other layers of colour. I had a little mishap on one of the prints so only two are actually decent. But that’s what you get for rushing!

Yellow, Purple, Pink Print

Yellow, Purple, Pink Print

I’m not entirely happy with this print, it’s a tad girly/sickly for my taste. And the pink layer is a bit smudgy as I must have moved the paper while trying to get a print.

Yellow, Purple & Green Print

Yellow, Purple & Green Print

I prefer this colour palette to the previous print but still am not 100% happy with it. Maybe something simpler like grey would look nicer on the final layer. It doesn’t look quite as much like a St.Patrick’s day print though, which is a relief.

Having made so much purple ink for the print (by accident) I decided to experiment by printing the background layer on texture watercolor paper, and then taking ghost prints of the lino to try and get a transfer of the textured ink.

Textured water colour paper linocut print

Textured water colour paper linocut print

Ghost print

Ghost print

Unfortunately I managed to move the ghost print whilst I was rubbing it, I think this was due to the paper not sticking to the ink as well because of there being less ink on the block to begin with. However I did try it again and got a slightly better result.

Second attempt at Ghost print of lino block

Second attempt at Ghost print of lino block

Here you can see that it’s picked up some of the texture from the water colour paper I printed with earlier. It’s a subtle effect, not sure how it would stand up to having other bolder layers on top, but I did occur to me it might be nice to draw/paint on top of. Something to try another time I think. 

I think I’d like to try one more multi-block print in some more contrasting colours and then leave it there.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *