Project 6: The Print

So now onto talking about the cutting of the lino and the printing part.

I found the cutting process quite tricky. Initially using a radiator and a hair dryer to warm the lino helped but I discovered later that using a hot water bottle allowed much quicker heating of the lino which meant less interruption between cutting. I also found that (perhaps due to not being used to the pressure needed to cut the lino) that I sometimes slipped an cut into other parts of the design that I didn’t want to cut into, that’s why on the final print there’s some solid lines that have a few nicks in them, so they’re not really solid any more.

It was nice to smell the lino and work with my hands/watch it take shape, but also a bit nerve wracking, it took me three hours to complete. I have no idea if that’s good or bad or completely unimportant.

Completed Linocut design before printing

Completed Linocut design before printing

i wanted to try the print on a few different sized and types of paper, so chose three papers (two Japanese paper, one cartridge paper) and cut two to square shapes that were larger than the design and one to a rectangle, just to see how it looked.

Here’s the results:

Prints 1,2,3.

Prints 1,2,3.

IMG_1309 IMG_1310

The first print I took (at the top of the three), is a little faded looking, I think this is due to not applying quite enough pressure whilst using the barren. The other prints are clearer/stronger inked, which is good.

I think I like the print best on the rectangle shaped paper rather than the close bordered square as it feels a bit more free to breathe. If that makes any sense. I think I could have done with adding more texture to the image by using wiggled lines for the leaves, but other wise the image is okay.

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *