Above is where my Linocutting test began!
It’s a photo of my bench hook, with the first piece of lino that was to be cut for my test marks. I decided the bench hook would be fine as slightly larger than A4 for now as all the pieces of lino I brought are A4 sized. Dan’s dad helped me by making the bench hook to the specifications I sent him, which was very helpful as I didn’t have the tools to make it myself!
Having marked the lino out with the number of squares required I set about warming the lino up. It was a little tricky at first, I wasn’t completely sure how long to heat it for. I left the lino on the radiator for a few minuets turning it so the whole piece was warm and flexible. I then began to make my first cuts into the Lino. The Lino I cut into was 3.2 mm thick, I do have some sheets that are 4.5 mm thick but just wanted to try this first.
The first cuts were exciting and tricky, just figuring out how much pressure I needed to make a mark.
I used the smallest Gouge tool I had to begin with as I’d read that this was a good one for first marks. The cuts are fairly deep as I pushed quite hard as I cut.
The next two square were cut using the V-tool. I found this trickier as it was much more slippy, I had to be careful to control my movements so that I actually cut properly into the Lino. I just started by making straight lines and then in the second square went for short quick stabs. The marks were quite shallow and delicate using the V-Tool, but clear at the same time.
For the forth box in the row I used the small gouge tool again, this time going for a cross shape to see how that would work. I found it easier to control my movements and so made a few letter shapes (C & B).
More in the next post….