Project 14: First combination print incorporating chine colle

I wanted to give myself a chance to get used to the chine colle method and the combination print before having settled on a final design for the project. So I found a lino block I’d cut in a previous project, based on a house across the road, and set about figuring out a way of incorporating chine colle.

Linocut block from previous project

Linocut block from previous project

This linocut block was created for Assignment 2 Project 6, and I think was the first lino cut i did, so it’s nothing too special. You can read about that process here:

http://movedbybreath.com/printmaking/project-6-the-print/

I hadn’t really considered how doing a combination print might by an improvement from the original but was pleasantly surprised by the results.

DSCF0915

First combination print – lino print with chine colle

I feel like it’s necessary to talk a bit about the process not just the finished print here. I didn’t photograph the process which seems stupid now but I’ll photograph the next one. My starting point was deciding what tissue papers I wanted to use. I have a large bag full of old tissues that I’ve collected so I wanted to try something from there. But also had brought some Unryu Tissue paper in a sample packĀ so wanted to use that as well.

As the image has a hedge that’s at the bottom of the house I thought I could block that area out with green Unryu tissue paper, to give a colour to it! In the example of the chine colle method in my work book it’s suggested to do a mono print background so I thought an orange background print could suggest the brick work of the house. I then found a white hand made tissue paper I’d kept and felt that this could cover the rest of the area of the lino print.

DSCF0920

I’m really surprised by how much using this method has added to the original print. It doesn’t look so amateurish or clumsy. The lino cut itself was never an amazing design but with the background colour and the tissue papers it suddenly looks purposeful and intriguing. This definitely has made me feel much more enthusiastic about the project as a whole.

DSCF0918

Close up of surface of the print

I’ve included a close up of the surface as it shows some of the errors or difficulties I encountered in the printing process. You’ll notice the surface is a little bit bubbled this is where the tissue hasn’t fully flattened/stuck to the paper. I think this was due to not applying enough pressure but may also be due to using diluted PVA glue as the adhesive. You’ll also notice some areas where the tissue covers the white of the paper and there’s no orange underneath. Registration wasn’t perfect here, it’s something I’ll have to work on for the series of prints.

Original print vs Combination printĀ 

DSCF0924

Original Lino print of ‘Neighbors House 1/2’

DSCF0925

Comparison of original lino print and combination print side by side

I definitely prefer the combination print to the original print. There’s so much more depth to the combination print.

Next steps & starting ideas:

 

Sketch taken from page 5 of A5 Sketchbook

Sketch taken from page 5 of A5 Sketchbook

The image above is a sketch I did a couple of months ago looking out the window of a friends house. I was interested in how the chimney of the house seemed to make a feature out of the side wall. It’s a pretty rough sketch but I think it could make an interesting combination print if the chimney and the shape that comes out into the wall were highlighted in a colour. Something to play/experiment with….

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *