Project 10: Printing

Before I began printing I created some jig’s to help with the registration of the print. I made two different sizes for the two different sizes of paper I wanted to print on.

Jigs for different sizes of paper

Jigs for different sizes of paper

Layers of print:

For the first ‘background’ layer I picked a light grey colour to act as a neutral back drop for other colours to sit on top of. Initially they didn’t print as well as I hoped with the white lines not showing through as crisply as hoped for but they improved over time.

1st Layer print - grey for large paper

1st Layer print – grey for large paper

1st Layer print - grey colour for Polaroid paper

1st Layer print – grey colour for Polaroid paper

Below is one of a number of badly registered second layers. I discovered that I didn’t have my jig the same way round as I did in the first layer and this was the reason for the purple layer being higher than the grey layer. I wrote top on jig to make sure I kept it the right way round when I realised the problem.

I also initially tried transfer the ink with a rolling pin on the back of the paper, but found this made the print blurry and that using a hand held barren stopped me producing such a blurry second layer.

2nd layer print - purple for large paper

2nd layer print – purple for large paper

2nd layer print - purple for large size paper

2nd layer print – purple for large size paper – better registration

Below is my artist proof showing all layers of the print. It’s badly registered but shows the process I went through to improve registration and the quality of printing.

Artist proof of all layers - grey, purple, brown & pink dab printing

Artist proof of all layers – grey, purple, brown & pink dab printing

Complete prints in first colour pallet:

These are two of the completed prints for the grey,purple, dark brown colour combination. They registered fairly well and I used a cotton bud dipped in pink ink to dab that colour onto the cheeks and lips. I think that worked really well, there’s a few little areas where the background layer shows through, which isn’t great but I couldn’t think of a way to rectify this!

IMG_1821IMG_1820

Prints with different colour pallet: 

I had already had a bit of practice with registration by the time of printing the second colour pallet so these look better than the first prints I did.

1st & 2nd layer print - green & purple for large size paper

1st & 2nd layer print – green & purple for large size paper

another 1st & 2nd layer print - green and purple for large size paper

another 1st & 2nd layer print – green and purple for large size paper

Complete prints for second colour combination:

IMG_1823

 

IMG_1816IMG_1812IMG_1811

There are area’s of overlap in each of these prints where the registration isn’t perfect and where I’ve made mistakes. But I think the colours work well together and the overall image components are completed by the final layer of the person on top. If I’d given myself more time I would’ve liked to have tried some more colour combinations and to have tried dab printing the dress a different colour to see the effect.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *