Having gathered my materials I began thinking about how to layer up and construct my collage block for printing. I drew the image directly onto the cardboard block and then traced it so that I could still figure out what shapes I wanted as I went.
I found the layering process quite tricky. I’d considered what i wanted different layers to be in terms of textures/materials beforehand. But I hadn’t thought about the order I’d need to stick the layers down in, in order for it to work how I’d planned. As a result some of the layers had to be cut to be different shapes/sit a little differently on the block, but I don’t think this has massively affected the overall look of the block.
In ‘Close up -1’ you can see areas of modelling paste, dried leaves, bubble wrap and some cartridge paper houses. I’m mainly worried about how the modelling paste will come out.
In ‘Close up – 2’ you can see some of twigs, leaves, wallpaper, grey linen. I’m not too sure about how the twigs will print here, but i’m hoping that by applying the ink with a tooth brush they’ll pick up more of the ink this time than in previous attempts.
In this close up you can see, brown paper bag, wallpaper, cartridge paper, and leaves from a plant. You might be able to see I’ve scratched away a layer of the cartridge paper to try and depict the windows, this is the bit I think is most likely not to work. But we’ll just have to see what happens when I print it all…