Assignment 4: Project 12 – Experiments

I wasn’t feeling well enough to leave the house before Christmas so tried to look for a subject area based on the house that I could turn into a collatype print. I ended up looking at one of the walls in our living room. The wall had beneath it a sofa, with some large textured cushions and above it a large picture frame. Another element of interest was the texture of the wall itself, a sort of swirled plaster effect. I thought these elements could be turned into an interesting print, so did some simple sketches to think about layout/focal point.

Sketch one of Sofa/Wall

Sketch one of Sofa/Wall

In the first sketch (above) I made the focal point the sofa, having it take up most of the page with only a hint of the picture frame visible at the top and the surrounding texture of the wall. I didn’t think this would be a balanced or interesting image overall so did another drawing changing the view point to a distance away so as to allow the photo frame to come into view.

Second sketch of Sofa/Wall

Second sketch of Sofa/Wall

In this sketch the texture of the wall is much more apparent and the frame is visible too but not dominant. I’ve also made more of an emphasise of the texture of the cushions on the sofa, and tried to highlight the piping around the edge of the sofa as I felt this could be recreated or hinted at through a collage using string.

Experimental Collage printing block

Experimental Collage printing block

I decided to give the idea in the sketch a go as a collage print. I didn’t want to waste materials by making it massive to begin with so restricted the size to A4, which again changed the focal point of the overall picture. I’ve used pollyfiller to create the textured wall as a background, a picture mount as the frame, a cut up plastic wallet to create the photos, and fabric samples & string for the sofa.

Close up of Fabric used on the sofa.

Close up of Fabric used on the sofa.

I only managed to print the collage block yesterday, I think it was a mixed success. I soaked some cotton rag water colour paper for a couple of hours to get it to take the ink well. In hindsight I think it probably could’ve done with just an hour, maybe an hour and a half maximum.

Print 1 of 2.

Print 1 of 2.

Print 2 of 2.

Print 2 of 2.

I think if I want the texture of the wallpaper to look more like the real texture then I need to get a sample of textured wallpaper and use that instead as that will a flat/even area of texture. I like the effect of the fabric squares but again an element has been lost as the fabric underneath wasn’t caught by the ink. I like the piping effect created by the string but the sofa looks a little like a ghost sofa without any more substance to it. I think I’d need to change a few things in the design before creating a final design from it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *