Below are all posts relating to Assignment 3.
Morgan Doyle is primarily a print maker but his website also had some paintings and drawings which I thought were well worth taking a look at, partly just to see how/if the drawings/paintings and prints had a similar feel.
Having managed to get four decent quality print of the first layer I was happy to move onto cutting the second layer.
I felt fairly happy with how the second layer had printed so began cutting my lino ready for the final layer of black edges/highlights on the print.
Warning long post….
The ‘Woodcut Artist’s Handbook’ arrived yesterday along with some practice blocks of wood and one piece of basswood. My plan was to establish which tools were used for what/how to hold them and then do some mark making.
Preparing for the print involved cutting/marking the three different surfaces: Polystyrene, Lino & Cutting Plastic. I tried to cut each piece to exactly the same size, a 12 cm square, but found that I only had enough cutting plastic to do a 11.5 cm square. Rather than rethink the design I hoped that if I aligned it right in the jig the 0.5 cm wouldn’t be too much of a problem.
Blocks before printing:
Before I began printing I created some jig’s to help with the registration of the print. I made two different sizes for the two different sizes of paper I wanted to print on.
I’m not going to post the whole of my tutor’s feedback on here as the post will be too lengthy for me or anyone reading to process properly. Instead I’ll start with the overall comments and then talk about what I’m needing to change or learn from moving forward into Assignment 4. Continue reading