I wanted to take a moment to reflect on the process of selecting work for the portfolio part of the assessment. I found this challenging at first, it’s easy to look at a whole module’s worth of work and feel overwhelmed. But I guess I had a couple of guiding thoughts to begin with.
1. Finding work that was of high standard (displayed the best of my ability)
2. Choosing pieces that reflected my emerging sense of a ‘personal voice’ – for me that would be mixed media pieces, work that has a hand drawn/illustrative quality, a sense of fun and playful use of colour.
I selected work that I thought best fit those two criteria, you can see my selection below:
Initially I wasn’t sure if I could ask my tutor to comment on my selection of work at this stage. But I emailed him and he was happy to provide comment. I found this helped me to feel more confident about my selection of work. Here’s his response;
In terms of your selection, I think you’re playing to your strengths showing your use of colour, poster designs and mixed media covers. Perhaps include your other cover designs from assignment 5 as well?
I realise his comments mean I need to get a few more pieces of work printed. But for now I’ll talk about the printing process…
Up until a few days ago I had never been to a professional printers to get work printed so this was a new thing for me to navigate. I knew several people who had used a local printers before so felt confident that they would be able to print the work, but I went in ahead of giving them the job to look at paper samples and prices.
Looking at their paper sample booklet helped me to know what I’d be getting from them and also made choosing paper very simple. There wasn’t any need more more specialist treatments (like foiling etc) so I chose papers of varying weights and either gloss or matt. I did make one exception by printing one piece, the info-graphic, onto acetate. This was purely because it looked like a fun method in their sample book. A bit of a risk but I felt like it could work for that piece.
Having done that I made sure to prep all my digital files as print ready PDFs.
I was quite nervous about how the work would look printed but I was really pleased with the quality of finish the printing gave the pieces:
It’s quite satisfying to see the work as a physical product after working on so much of it digitally. It’s something I’ve struggled with over the duration of the module, I’ve had to be content with printing bits of smaller size using my home printer (which is pretty poor quality). So it’s a relief to see the designs generally look how I intended printed out. The only thing that is noticeable is a difference in some colours, I think that’s largely because my computer screens are not the best for viewing colour, so everything has come out a little darker/duller than how it looked on my screen. But I think it’s still an good standard. Maybe something to think about when designing in the future!
One final thing, I had some fun making some labels for my sketchbook from some hand lettering and sketches I’d done in my sketchbook: