Feeling happy with my first plain paper prototype I moved onto trying to find different kinds of paper for the design.
My initial thought was to try and create an envelope that could look like/represent ground that the spade was cutting into (as it would look if you were digging). I found some flowery wrapping paper that looked quite fresh and thought that might work.
However seeing it in actuality, I thought it didn’t really look like earth/ground the spade was cutting into and the spade poking out the top actually made it look more like a handbag design. The blue and pink give it too girly a feel and I felt like this might be off putting for any guys receiving it in the post!
I found a sturdy brown paper/card I’d kept from something to make the spade from and I felt like this would help it keep it’s shape and made it look for spade like. I coloured in the handle green as often spades have coloured handles.
At the time I felt okay with this particular spade design so moved on to trying to design a better looking envelope.