I last posted a comment about this poster nearly a month ago, and I feel like I’m finally nearing it’s completion. I’ve had two sessions with a friend who’s a graphic designer now, and feel like I have some level of competency with Illustrator and Photoshop.
I’ve made fairly substantial changes to the design of the poster. Here’s how it looked before:
And this is what the poster looks like now:
Working with the guidance of my friend was helpful as it helped me to decide what elements of the previous design worked and which didn’t. I used the original handwritten title ‘bands in the park’ and the drawings I’d done of the instruments, converting them into vector graphics and adjusting the colours/width of outlines. I felt this kept some of the charm or feel of the hand made design but cleaned it up, making it seem smoother more professional.
So what did I change? Well the original colour scheme had to go, it gave the wrong impression of a patriotic event. I went for a colour scheme that was quite muted, and suited ‘Jazz’ music as a sort of theme, using grey’s, creams, brown and a mustard yellow to add some colour. I wanted to give a nod to it being a summer/park based event so added some daisies around the poster. I didn’t want them to be too intense or bold hence they sit within the colour scheme and are simple shapes.
It’s worth noting here, that viewing the poster now the background colour appears much greener than it did in illustrator. I think I need to adjust that to make it more like a creamy grey. I’ve printed the poster a few times now just to try and a get a better look at the scale of text and shapes within the poster, and found that helped me to know when to adjust sizes. For instance the title line was appearing quite small once printed out so I adjusted that. Now I’m thinking that it might be worth making some changes to the colours.