Exercise: Magazine pages pt.2

I realised that in the previous post on this exercise I gave examples of working within the set grid structure, but keeping the positioning of text/images within the grid very similar. I wanted to try moving elements around the grid structure without changing the grid, so I experimented a bit further.

Here’s the results of my experimentation:

Magazine page v.8

Magazine page v.8

In version 8 I moved the Headline text from sitting on top of the left hand side of the main image to sitting directly below the image. It reduces some of the white space in the page which is okay, it doesn’t feel overcrowded. I chose a new font which had a handwritten feel but that remained legible/clean. I think this creates a more fun approach, looks like it could be an article in a children’s magazine or a national trust campaign.

Magazine page v.9

Magazine page v.9

For version 9 I kept the font used in version 8 but moved the Heading to above the image. I feel it looks a little lost above the image, as the image is so large. Placing the subheading underneath the image away from the main heading is perhaps confusing/to large a distance it begins to look like the two texts aren’t meant to be associated with each other. I did try to keep some continuity between the heading and the subheading by using the same font for both just at different sizes.

Magazine page v.10

Magazine page v.10

Version 10 is very similar to version 8. I’ve simply adjusted how far the subheading goes across the page. I think this helps keep a sense of grid shape, as in the line across the page rather than making the page look left side heavy (if that makes any sense!).

 

Magazine page v.11

Magazine page v.11

For my final version I decided to try and incorporate multiple images into the page. I made the main heading sit in the top left hand side of the grid, which I think makes it a bit more dynamic. I then scanned in some real leaves I’d collected on a walk and used these as objects to place around the heading text. I’m not sure if the colours work together but the general idea seems good. I wanted to see if I could mix up illustrations with photo’s, so added in some drawings of acorns alongside the body text of the article. I tried to keep things cohesive by using an font which has an illustrated feel for the main heading. I think this does help, but that in the end having all the images on the page makes it feel too busy. The illustrations beside the body text distract the eye, rather than drawing in the eye to the text.

Even though I could experiment further I feel now is a good point to ┬ábe moving on to the next exercise…

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *