This project required the design of a logo for a wine bar/cafe called The French Hen. It also stipulated producing examples of the logo placed on products namely; a T-shirt for staff, shop sign, window sticker, beer matt, food/cocktail menu and a napkin.
The brief made an emphasis of the aim of the client being to attract the “young sophisticated drinker” and dispel any reputation of binge drinking or bad behaviour that might normally be associated with a younger drinker (as in still a legal drinker!).
I began by trying to research branding that I felt appealed to a younger market but had a sophisticated feel. I discovered most of these made use of typography for their branding rather than illustrations or images that made reference to the name. Often they chose a limited colour palette, perhaps two to three colours maximum, which gave a more sophisticated/smooth aesthetic.
See links to relevant examples below:
I decided to try and focus on creating a typography orientated logo for the bar/cafe. I also felt like because of the name French hen it would be a good idea to look at examples of French cafes or bars or the way streets looked around those establishments. I used Pinterest to collate images and found some good examples of typography used on signs or windows of such businesses in France/Paris:
I used these image as inspiration for creating my own hand drawn lettering and shapes for the sign.
I started with an idea around the shape of a wreath but rather than having the wreath be plant based I created illustrations based on things found in bars/cafes to make my wreath. I then drew a very loose script version of the name French hen in the centre:
Having drawn in my sketchbook I then used illustrator to turn it into a vector drawing and began to play around with possible colour combinations. I aimed to keep the colours simple, limited and clean as my research suggested might help.
I also worked on a version which worked as a cut-out design as I felt this would work for a window sticker rather than the flat design.
I then moved onto a different design using a simple adapted rectangle and some more ornate slab serif inspired hand lettering:
I added some flourishes to the design as this is something I saw on shop windows in my research.
I then built up the design in Photoshop before converting it into a vector graphic in illustrator:
Following this I began to play around with colour combinations and adding some typed lettering using illustrator:
I was aware part of the brief was to avoid stereotypes and I’m not sure how much this design falls into that. But I did deliberately avoid using the colour red on any of my designs as I’m aware often French restaurants, especially chain stores use red as a colour to indicate French cuisine. Perhaps the navy blue is also a little safe, but I feel its more sophisticated than a black or brighter color.
I tried one more design idea in my sketchbook, involving an illustration of a hen and an fancy flourished frame. But I felt like this was too clichéd and predictable an idea so didn’t take it beyond my sketchbook:
I then began to look at how to display the logo on different products/formats. I wasn’t very familiar or comfortable with generating mockups. But I found a site which offered free use able templates for placing your own designs into (see link below):
I then began to try different designs in the mock up scenarios:
Whilst the mock-up shop sign isn’t perfect it helped me to see that the rectangular design was the one I preferred, although I did try the wreath design as a window sticker:
I then began working on food and cocktail menu designs. I decided to do two different colours for them to help distinguish between the types of menu:
I found the mock-ups for the T-shirt and beer matt harder to create, as this involved adjusting effects in Photoshop which I hadn’t had much prior experience with. But they give an idea of how the product might look, albeit a slightly less professional looking outcome:
The beer matt looks the worst because I tried to create a beer matt shape to put the logo on top of using illustrator. It just looks like a 3D lump but I didn’t feel it justified the time so late into the module to adjust it too look better, something to improve on later! It’s also worth me noting I haven’t mocked up a placement of the logo on a napkin.